The India That Didn't Make Breaking News
The India That Didn't Make Breaking News
My friend almost threw his cup of tea on the table.
"Avinash... honestly, I think we've failed as a society. If this is our youth, I don't know what future India has."
I looked at him quietly.
"What happened?"
He didn't even wait.
"Didn't you watch the news?"
"All I see these days are students shouting slogans, abusing the Prime Minister, abusing the Police, abusing the Government... and then everyone says — 'This is Gen Z... this is India's youth!'
"Honestly Avinash, I have started losing faith in this generation."
I smiled.
"Really?"
He looked irritated.
"Yes... really."
I asked him one question.
"Tell me... approximately how many young people wake up every morning in India?"
He looked puzzled.
"May be Crores."
"Exactly."
"And how many of them were standing on those streets?"
Silence.
"My friend," I continued,
"Do you know what rest of India's youth was doing during exactly the same period?"
While one camera remained fixed on one protest site...
another young Indian girl, Asmita Dey, quietly created history by becoming India's first-ever Commonwealth Games gold medallist in Judo.
Harsh Singh became the first Indian male judoka to win Commonwealth Games gold.
Mirabai Chanu quietly lifted her way into history yet again by winning her third consecutive Commonwealth Games gold, inspiring millions through sheer discipline rather than slogans.
At the Asian U23 Athletics Championships, India's young athletes kept bringing home medals. The women's 4×400 relay team won gold, and Anand Singh struck gold in the javelin as India finished with an impressive medal haul.
Skyroots Aerospace, an Indian private space tech company run by youngsters under 30 launched Vikram - 1.. It's maiden successful Orbital Rocket...
While television debates grew louder...
lakhs of students quietly reappeared for the NEET examination after months of uncertainty, choosing perseverance over despair.
Lakhs of engineering aspirants sat with their parents, discussing colleges, branches and dreams for the future.
Thousands reported to hospitals as interns.
Young officers continued their military training.
Researchers continued working in laboratories.
Young entrepreneurs continued building companies.
Artists kept creating.
Volunteers kept teaching.
Farmers' children continued preparing for competitive examinations after finishing their work in the fields.
None of them became breaking news.
Because quiet construction rarely does.
I looked at my friend.
"Tell me honestly Sagar...
Which India is the real India?
The one our television cameras repeatedly showed us...
or the one that quietly showed up every morning to study, practise, work, build, compete and dream?"
He didn't answer.
I have spent years interacting with students across India.
Have I met confused youngsters?
Yes.
Emotionally exhausted youngsters?
Absolutely.
Directionless youngsters?
Many.
But I have also met something far more common.
Kind youngsters.
Hard-working youngsters.
Curious youngsters.
Responsible youngsters.
Young Indians who desperately want to build a meaningful life for themselves, support their families and contribute to the nation.
Unfortunately...
that India rarely trends.
Let me make one thing equally clear.
Whenever anyone—whether a student, a politician, a public figure or anyone else—uses abusive language, glorifies hatred or forgets the dignity that democracy demands, I cannot support it.
Disagreement is a democratic right.
Disrespect is not.
But I am equally unwilling to judge an entire generation by the behaviour of a small visible section.
That would be unfair.
And frankly... untrue.
News, by its very nature, highlights the exceptional.
Sometimes exceptional achievement.
Sometimes exceptional conflict.
The danger begins when we mistake what is visible for what is representative.
As a Career Coach, I refuse to let my opinion of an entire generation be written by the loudest few voices when millions of quieter voices are busy building the India of tomorrow.
Because I have met those young people.
I meet them almost every day.
And despite all the challenges they face...
I have tremendous faith in Young India.
"Not because I believe our young people are perfect... but because I have seen, again and again, their willingness to learn, adapt, rebuild and rise after setbacks. That, to me, is the true strength of this generation."
it's time we all started paying a little more attention to
The India That doesn't Make Breaking News.
— Avinash Deshmukh

Comments
Post a Comment